Saturday 19 January 2013

A second Kelly and how I'm getting on with my re{sew}lutions

I finished my second Kelly, woo hoo! The only thing is that I was going to model it today but I'm poorly... I got home last night (after spending 2 and a half hours driving back from work in the snow, what should have been a 45 minute journey) and felt a bit funny. Thought it was just the sweets and berries I'd scoffed whilst stuck in traffic but then spent the evening and night throwing up. Nice. So feel a bit fragile today and definitely don't think going out in the snow in a skirt is a great idea! I will endeavour to take photos soon. In the meantime, here's the skirt by itself.


It's in a lightweight denim that I got from Birmingham Rag Market. I only had 1m and it was 112cm wide so I had to be really economical with the cutting. I knew from before that the recommended hem is quite large (over 6cm) so I just made the pattern pieces a bit shorter and did a smaller hem. I didn't use denim for the pocket linings as I thought it would be too bulky so I used some shirting material that I had in my stash.


And I did buttonholes properly! All six of them came out alright after I used Amanda's tip of extra interfacing (I decided to put interfacing all the way down the button plackets). I might have, sort of, erm, accidentally cut through one of the bar tacks but we won't talk about that...


Suffice to say there was a lot of handstitching going on!

So now I have two skirts to wear for #kellyskirtfriday, organised by the lovely Sarah of Notches and Notions!
With snowboots for the bad weather
Part of my New Year resolutions was to enjoy my sewing. Well, I'm definitely doing that! So much so, in fact, that I've joined up to soisewedthis's Focus on Enjoyment campaign. There's a little icon and everything! I don't have any specific things on my list about how I'm going to focus on enjoying my sewing, just that I am! I'll make things only that I want to and not get too bogged down by details or not get disappointed if I can't do something very well. I hope that's ok!


I've also joined in with Karen of Did You Make That?'s sewlutions (aka the 2013 Jar of Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is).


My one "proper" sewing resolution for the year is to finish the seams on every garment I make. So far so good so if I do get called up, I shouldn't get caught out!

Look how neat this is for once!

Enjoy the snow everyone (or heatwave if you're in Oz)!

16 comments:

  1. Check you and your bad self out! That looks fab! Hope you're feeling better and take it easy :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda - altho I wished I'd used some cool jungle print now after seeing your skirt!

      Delete
  2. Wow that looks like a brilliant skirt inside and out! Hope you feel better soon lovely x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, feeling much better thanks. I've impressed myself with how neat I can be!

      Delete
  3. Feel better! It so rarely snows where I live that if it does snow, they close everything down - no work! But it probably won't snow this year! Have some enjoyable sewing and I'll add your link as soon as I get back to editing my post. Cute skirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could have had a snow day! My other half got to work from home on Monday as his car wouldn't budge out if the snow but my little trusty car was fine... Brilliant yet rubbish at the same time!

      Delete
  4. Love this skirt! I need to remember Amanda's tip too for my next Kelly! Great idea for the lining. Hope you're feeling better x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes, def use that tip, it really works!

      Delete
  5. Be well! Just catching up with all your January activity - you are certainly off to a flying start this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth. I've got so much I want to do, I just need to slow down and make sure I don't do it all really quickly and run out of stuff (& money!) Pace yourself Sabs!

      Delete
  6. Skirt looks great - with super sewing both on the outside, and inside!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judith - I'm really working in not rushing the construction and making sure I finish all the seams... It's hard work keeping it up already!!

      Delete
  7. I hope you're feeling better by now - that's a great denim skirt you made. I like your sewlution to finish all the seams - that should be on the top of my list too because I've been bad about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny - I'm back to normal now. It's def harder than it sounds to stick to but worth it as I always feel really chuffed when I see the inside of the garment. Nice warm glow!

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi,
    love the skirt, nothing seems to be stopping you...
    Your sewlution is a great one, nothing worse than horrible finishes.

    You should definitly be proud of yourself for all your brilliant garments, keep the good work up :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please leave me a comment. Thanks!